Reflections From Psalm 22

"My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"
Christ cried out in anguish from the cross
My God, I cry out by day but You do not answer me
When darkness covers all the land, rest is lost

Yet, You are enthroned as the Holy One,
The One whom Israel gives praise
In You, our ancestors put their trust
They cried to You; You delivered and saved

But, I am a worm, spit upon and crushed
While upon the cross, in agony, I writhe 
Unrecognized as human
Scorned by all, by all despised

All who see me at this crossroad mock me
Hurling insults, shaking their heads
"He trusts in the LORD,
Let the LORD rescue him," they said

Yet You brought me out of the womb
You made me trust in You even as I nursed
I have always been cared for by You, my God
Do not be far, for only You can help me, now cursed

Many bulls surround me
Ferocious horns of power oppress
Roaring lions that shred their prey
My back is a blood-scourged mess

I am poured out like water, emptied of life
All of my bones are in disarray
Like wax, my heart has melted
Like a broken jar, in the dust of death, I lay

They pierce my hands and my feet
A pack of villains stare and gloat
They divide my garments among themselves
And cast lots for my seamless clothes

But You, LORD, do not be far from me
You are my strength; come quickly to my aid
Deliver me from the sword, my precious life
From the power of savages, rescue and save

I will declare Your name to my people
In the assembly I will praise You
Children of Israel, honour and revere Him!
You who fear the LORD, praise Him, too!

For He has not despised or scorned
The suffering of the afflicted one
He has not hidden His face from him
But has listened to the cry from His Son

From You comes the theme of my praise
Before those who fear You, I will fulfill my vows
The poor will eat and be satisfied
Those who seek the LORD will praise Him anyhow

All the ends of the earth will remember and repent
All the families of every nation
Will bow down before the LORD
Who rules over all of His creation

All the rich of the earth will celebrate and sing
All who go down to the dust will kneel
Posterity will serve Him;
To future generations, the LORD will be revealed

They will declare His righteousness,
Proclaim to those who have yet to leave the womb:
He has done it! It is finished!
He is risen! Christ has left the tomb.
---
September 16, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prophecy is Unfolding (Matthew 24)

Prophecy is unfolding Before our very eyes   A new world  order  is coming    Ruled by deception and lies Do not be alarmed    When wars and...